Ecodesign and Energy Labels Result in Energy-Savings
Reference: EU Commission
How do you create effective EU-legislation which encourages green transition and circular economy? By establishing a solid technical foundation and involving relevant stakeholders. Viegand Maagøe is behind the preparatory work for establishing requirements for ecodesign and energy labeling of circular products.
The project: From ecodesign and energy labels to circular products
Viegand Maagøe has completed a large amount of energy and environment analyses for the EU Commission which has served as the basis for the EU’s legislation on ecodesign and energy labelling for a range of products. We applied our knowledge of sustainable products as well as our analytical expertise of environmental consequences.
Viegand Maagøe has been responsible for:
- Conducting analyses of product types, the market, and the number of products in EU as of now and in the future
- Analysing patterns of use for the specific products across EU
- Performing technical analyses of the products
- Providing a description of solutions for improving the energy and resources efficiency of the products
- Evaluating technical possibilities for improving energy and resource efficiency in the lifespan of the products
- Evaluating possible legal requirements for products, and suggesting legal proposals
- Calculating the effect of new requirements on the climate, the economy, and resource usage in EU
Throughout the project, we maintained a close dialogue with relevant stakeholders including:
- Stakeholder meetings with the industry, NGOs and Member States of the EU among others.
- Close dialogue with stakeholders using the project website and comments in sub-reports as platforms.
- Contact with relevant experts and companies about data and technical knowledge of specific products.
The results: New regulations result in great savings
Eco-design and energy labelling are very effective tools which have ensured great energy savings in the EU. Viegand Maagøe’s efforts have contributed to this.
Using the analyses from Viegand Maagøe, several proposals to the EU have been put forward and approved in relation to eco-design and energy labelling regulations for a range of products.
of primary energy.
Examples of products analysed by Viegand Maagøe:
- Computers and it-equipment
- Servers and data centres
- Water- and circulation pumps
- Air conditioners
- Standby consumption/network standby
- Smart appliances
- Tumble dryers
- Local space heating systems
- Vacuum cleaners
- Refrigerated containers