Heat Pump Produces District Heating With Waste Heat From CP Kelco
Reference: CP Kelco
Reference: CP Kelco
Contract period: 2014 - 2018
How we solved the task
The manufacturing company CP Kelco in Lille Skensved near Køge wanted to improve the business by using waste heat from the production to produce district heating. Over many years Viegand Maagøe have been working to utilize waste heat from the industry and have extensive experience with every phase of such projects – from the initial setting up of a business case to project management in the implementation phase. We used this experience to help CP Kelco.
In collaboration with employees in CP Kelco, Viegand Maagøe have been responsible for:
- developing a solution for process integration for utilization of waste heat
- clarification of ownership and partnership model with the utility company (VEKS)
- specifying the technical solutions (heat pump, electricity, building etc.)
- preparing specifications for tender materials
- evaluation of proposals and assisting during contracting
- various tax analyzes and risk assessments
- operational optimization of finished installation
- project management of the overall project.
The heat pump solution is distinguished by being able to supply heat at temperatures up to 90 ° C, which has required a special heat pump concept.
Viegand Maagøe succeeded in optimizing the heat pump system so that after one year of operation, it delivers up to 7.5 MW against the originally planned 5 MW. Moreover, a system COP of up to 50 is achieved as part of the company’s waste heat are hot enough to be utilized directly.
- 2 pcs. Mayekawa heat pumps of each 1.4 MW and
- 5 Alfa Laval plate heat exchangers each of the magnitude of 1-5 MW.
- 42,000 MWh in 2018
- 50,000 MWh in 2019 (expected)
The heat pump system ensures a significant annual income for CP Kelco, and the payback period for the investment is approx. 4 years.
In CP Kelco the optimization of waste heat resulted in a considerably higher COP for the heat pump system. The result reflects our overall experience in development of waste heat recovery projects, which builds on in-depth insights into the facilities energy consumption, whether it is a manufacturing company or a data center.